Canada took the slasher movie to the next level when the country produced the trendsetting BLACK CHRISTMAS in 1974, at the height of what has become known as ‘Canuxploitation’.
Later shockers from the nation of moose, Mounties and maple syrup included the equally effective MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (1981) but by the turn of the eighties the terror-trend was drying up… at least until the plasma-spilling shocks of POPCORN in 1991!
This is Canadian slice and dice action par excellence – and returns to the good old days of splashed blood, high body counts and a mysterious killer as a young female screenwriter (played by the great Scream Queen Jill Schoelen from THE STEPFATHER and CUTTING CLASS) suffers nightmares of a strange figure who may well be breaking into the ‘reel’ world.
Postmodern and provocative, and featuring a genre ensemble cast that includes Dee Wallace Stone (THE HOWLING) and Kelly Jo Minter (THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS), POPCORN has maintained a following of macabre movie fans for decades since its release!
- Website Exclusive Matt Finish Slipcase [Limited to the first 500 Customers]
- Synapse Films Supplied 2K Scan of a 35mm Interpositive Vault Element
- All-New Blu-ray 7.1 Surround Sound Mix Supervised by Synapse Films
- (Original 2.0 Stereo Mix also Included)
- Audio Commentary with Director Mark Herrier, Stars Jill Schoelen, Malcolm Danare, and Special Makeup Effects Artist Mat Falls
- MIDNIGHT MADNESS: THE MAKING OF “POPCORN” featuring interviews with Director Mark Herrier, Stars Jill Schoelen, Derek Rydall, Dee Wallace, Malcolm Danare, Ivette Soler, and Elliott Hurst, Special Makeup Effects Artist Mat Falls, Composer Paul Zaza, and Distributor Executive Jonathan Wolf (55 mins, HD)
- Electric Memories – An Interview with Actor Bruce Glover
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Television Trailer and TV Spots
- Still Gallery
- English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing