101 Films is proud to present RABID (1977), the enduringly tense and gruesome horror that marked a landmark in David Cronenberg’s early career.
RABID is written and directed by David Cronenberg (VIDEODROME) and produced by John Dunning, Ivan Reitman and Don Carmody. The film stars Marilyn Chambers, Howard Ryshpan, Frank Moore and Patricia Gage (AMERICAN PSYCHO).
When Rose suffers terrible injuries in a motorcycle crash, she is taken to a nearby clinic run by Dr Keloid for experimental skin-graft surgery. At first, the revolutionary procedure proves successful, but it soon leaves Rose with a strange orifice protruding from her armpit and an insatiable thirst for human blood. Hell-bent on satisfying her bloodlust, Rose leaves a trail of insane and uncontrollably aggressive victims, as the unknown virus engulfs North America in an orgy of frenetic violence.
This new release by 101 Films Black Label, is a 2K scan from the original camera negative at director David Cronenberg’s preferred aspect ratio (1.66:1). The first 3,000 copies of this 2 disc Blu-ray release comes with a limited edition slipcase and booklet.
- The Quiet Revolution: State, Society and the Canadian Horror Film – Part One: Gimme Shelter: Cinepix and the Birth of the Canadian Horror Film, a brand new feature-length documentary exploring the social contexts behind Canadian horror cinema from filmmaker and author Xavier Mendik
- Audio commentary with filmmakers Jen and Sylvia Soska (directors of the 2019’s Rabid reimagining)
- Limited edition booklet: Includes ‘The Birth of Rabid’ by Greg Dunning and ‘Stunned. Shocked. Exhilarated: Horror in the Early Films of David Cronenberg’ by Alex Morris
- Audio commentary with writer-director David Cronenberg
- Audio commentary with William Beard, author of ‘The Artist as Monster: The Cinema of David Cronenberg’
- Audio commentary with Jill C. Nelson, author of ‘Golden Goddesses: 25 Legendary Women Of Classic Erotic Cinema, 1968-1985’ and Marilyn Chambers’ Personal Appearances Manager Ken Leicht
- Young And Rabid – An interview with actress Susan Roman
- Archive interview with David Cronenberg
- The Directors: David Cronenberg – a 1999 documentary on the filmmaker
- Interview with executive producer Ivan Reitman
- Interview with co-producer Don Carmody